Where did we get our Bible? Who decided which books were inspired or not? Plus, Heretic of the Week: John Fugelsang, and more!
- 00:22 – Introduction and word from show sponsor Unfundamentalists.
- 05:25 – Introduction to Heretic of the Week John Fugelsang. John explains why people think he’s a heretic.
- 06:26 – Following Jesus instead of his fan clubs. Denying women the priesthood. Same sex relationships. Celibacy.
- 08:43 – The teachings of Jesus watered down.
- 10:09 – Opting out of the institutional church.
- 12:39 – Man-made power structures.
- 14:27 – Political channels and Jesus’s message.
- 16:09 – Separation of church and hate.
- 18:00 – John talks about his Catholic upbringing and his career.
- 21:24 – The hypocrisy of fundamentalism.
- 25:05 – Politics and the teachings of Jesus.
- 30:50 – Abortion.
- 32:15 – What John is currently working on.
- 33:30 – End of interview.
- 34:08 – The Biblical Canon. The books of the Protestant, the Catholic, and the Jewish Canon.
- 36:27 – The Torah.
- 37:16 – Who wrote the Bible?
- 38:10 – Old Testament and contradictions. Israel divided and reunited and how that influenced the text. Not a unified voice in scriptures.
- 41:56 – The human need for certainty. Jesus never weighed in on the “approved” set of writings.
- 43:44 – Marcion and the canon.
- 47:54 – Disciples writing letters in their mentor’s names.
- 49:36 – Revelation.
- 50:41 – Canonization as a false sense of security.
- 52:11 – The early church council in the 4th century creating the canon. Organized by Constantine.
- 56:02 – Power structures and the motivation to canonizing the Bible.
- 56:27 – Has God stopped speaking or inspiring?
- 58:08 – Apostolic authority and the exclusion of writings.
- 59:44 – Women being silenced because of the canon. Mary Magdalene considered an apostle.
- 1:02:18 – Gnostic writings and heretics.
- 1:04:20 – Authorship of the epistles. Disputed letters of Paul.
- 1:08:35 – Paul’s eschatology.
- 1:11:02 – Jesus or the Bible as the center of your faith.
- 1:13:03 – The New Covenant. Paul’s revelation of the cosmic Christ. Christ consciousness and inspiration of the eastern religions.
- 1:14:55 – Ephesians and Colossians as disputed letters of Paul. The canon isn’t closed.
Heretic Happy Hour is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com