The opposite of faith is not doubt, it’s certainty. So, why are we so afraid to be wrong? Plus another new theme song from our fans and our very own Matthew Distefano as the HOTW.
- 00:30 – Introduction and word from show sponsor Unfundamentalists.
- 04:50 – Voicemails to the hotline.
- 07:33 – Heretic of the week Matthew Distefano explains why he’s a “heretic.” Universal reconciliation, affirms LGBTQ community, and the Bible is not inerrant.
- 13:23 – Matthew talks about his exploration of Universal reconciliation and passages in the Bible.
- 16:11 – Passage in Titus used to “doom to even question the Bible”
- 18:00 – If there’s no eternal torment, you undercut many people’s “ministry.”
- 20:21 – Appealing to fear in messages to stop people from asking questions.
- 22:06 – Matt’s deconstruction process. Problems with a violent God. Non-violent atonement theories.
- 27:00 – Discussion about being ok with people not being with you in deconstruction.
- 29:00 – Matthew’s new book, Heretic!, on Quoir Publishing.
- 32:48 – Faith vs. Certainty.
- 35:25 – The process of faith and listening to people who don’t agree with you.
- 39:20 – The essential need of certainty in humans. Can you be certain about some things?
- 41:00 – Jesus’s certainty.
- 43:00 – Certainty from the heart or the mind.
- 43:27 – Faith and evaluating the evidence.
- 44:55 – I believe that God is good and he loves me.
- 45:30 – Convinced vs. being certain.
- 47:40 – Story about an atheist and what he “knows.” The certainty of love.
- 50:30 – Are we certain about God or doctrines about God?
- 50:50 – I am not my beliefs. The beauty of the mystery of God.
- 54:11 – Discussion of God’s ways are higher than our ways.
- 56:01 – God and the true essence of self.
Heretic Happy Hour is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com