This may be our most controversial episode ever. Listen as we debate the significance of Mary Magdalene and the conspiracy surrounding her. Plus, Sarah Bessey (author of Jesus Feminist) is our Heretic of the Week.
- 00:20 – Introduction and word from show sponsor Unfundamentalists.
- 03:13 – Voicemail about an encounter with God. Gifts of the Spirit.
- 09:25 – Heretic Happy Hour Patreon page.
- 13:00 – Introduction to Sarah Bessey and why people consider her a heretic. Not taking the Bible literally.
- 16:30 – Jesus as a feminist.
- 20:13 – God as male and female. Divine Feminine. The fullness of God’s image.
- 24:00 – Patriarchal feel of Christianity.
- 28:01 – The transformation of Sarah’s marriage.
- 30:45 – Sarah’s deconstruction process. Transformation through grief.
- 36:14 – Embracing questions and deconstruction.
- 37:45 – Hope and grief.
- 43:02 – End of interview.
- 44:55 – Introduction to Mary Magdalene.
- 47:10 – Mary Magdalene silenced over the centuries. “Gnostic Gospels”
- 50:43 – Jamal’s experiences of femininity and motherhood.
- 54:39 – Jamal’s story of the El Camino pilgrimage and an experience with Mary Magdalene.
- 1:07:35 – Communion of saints.
- 1:11:33 – Jesus’s unique relationship with Mary.
- 1:15:57 – Gnostic gospels and canonical gospels. Mary Magdalene as a disciple.
- 1:22:25 – Early groups believing that Mary Magdalene was the wife of Jesus.
- 1:24:14 – Mary (Magdalene?) and Martha (sisters of Lazarus) as close relationships to Jesus.
- 1:29:38 – Dan Brown and historical fiction.
- 1:30:21 – Conspiracy to silence Mary Magdalene.
Heretic Happy Hour is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Thank you for this episode! I wasn't familiar with Sarah Bessey's work. I so loved this interview! I love her heart and her expression is beautiful!